Tuesday, January 05, 2010

What I eat

7 miles in 55.19 (treadmill) and 173.6 pounds

It started innocently enough when I watched Food, Inc., Robert Kenner's awesome movie on the American food industrial complex. I know that I totally ignore the nutritional aspect of fitness. I don't have a horrible diet compared to most people but that isn't saying much. My usual weekly diet consists of burritos, pizza, chocolate chip cookies and bagels. Since I work out a lot, it hasn't affected my health but I am pretty sure I would be a faster athlete if I ate better and didn't exist in a constant state of dehydration.

Last night I went to an informational meeting on a cleansing diet, which is essentially three weeks of abstaining from meat, processed foods, sugars, wheat, coffee (no chance), alcohol, glutton, milk, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do it because it seems a little bit extreme but I am going to make a conscious effort to go organic, and try to avoid the cookie and ice cream fest. This might mean that I don't go to the diner for the usual omelets with Ben and Sam in Kingston, NY but there are worse tragedies in life.

One small reason I have refrained from these type of diets is the same reason why I have always avoided taking Ritalin. I might be borderline ADD but it is part of who I am and I have a fear of altering my personality (unless it is borderline destructive). I am the guy who loves french fries and pizza and I am OK with that image. Except maybe I don't need to be the one who subsists solely on that food from the back of the race.

No comments: