Monday, July 20, 2009

Hero for a day or a lifetime

Nailing specific goals like marathons personal bests (or 20 straight pullups) requires periodization, meaning you train really hard for a few months a year and take it easy for a few months. Build up and break down. But I can't embrace this approach. I dread the hard stuff way too much and am racked with guilt if I do too much easy. That's one of the reasons I can't embrace Cross Fit. The crushing prospect of Angie would have me up all night in fear and the one day off every fourth day would have me convinced I was atrophying and acquiring fat, no matter what I did in the preceeding three days. So I remain stuck doing the same 8 mile runs, 210 pound bench presses (1oX mind you) and 15 pullups, convinced I am a hero.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You work out 7x per week? Mainsite had Lynne, the other day: 5 rounds for max reps of BW bench press and pull-ups. Seems right up your alley as far as your bench press and pull-up goals. If you're bench pressing in your apartment, you might want to think about these: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/93015.html